Racha is a historical region, located in the highlands of the western parts of Georgia. Administratively, Racha is a part of Racha-Lechkhumi and Kvemo (Lower) Svaneti region. Racha is divided into two parts – Oni and Ambrolauri municipalities.
Town Oni is the municipal center of Racha, located at an elevation of 830 meters above sea level. According to the legend, Oni was founded in the 2nd century. Major highlights are Oni Local Museum, established in 1937, as well as a synagogue, constructed in 1880.
Ambrolauri is located on both banks of the river Rioni. Ambrolauri Museum of Fine Arts displays 550 paintings of famous Georgian artists – Lado Gudiashvili, Elene Akhvlediani, Davit Kakabadze.
Nikortsminda Cathedral and Barakoni Church of Mother of God are located in Racha, Ambrolauri Municipality. Cathedral is situated in village Nikortsminda, and was built in the 11th century in Georgian cross-dome style. The latter is located in the village Tsesi, built in the 18th century.
Udziro Lake (translates from Georgian as “lake without bottom”) lies near the villages of Glola and Shovi, at an elevation of 2800 meters above sea level.
Shaori Reservoir is situated in Ambrolauri Municipality. This place is especially worth visiting during autumn when surrounding forests are presented in various colors.
The famous health resort Shovi is situated 30 kilometers from Oni. The place is full of pine, spruce and fir trees, as well as deciduous forests. Besides Shovi, there are several mountainous villages in Upper Racha. Some among the most notable ones are Ghebi and Gona.
Everybody knows local Lobiani (a bread with beans) and ham in Georgia. Racha is also famous for its winemaking traditions. Local Khvanchkara is one of the most famous Georgian wine varieties.