Khikhani Fortress is located in Khulo Municipality, Adjara region, on the top of the cliff. It is situated at an elevation of 2200 meters above sea level. One will enjoy the view of Shavseti range, mountain villages of Adjara, Goderdzi Pass from the fortress. Most of the scientists believe that the fortress was constructed in the 10-13th c.c. Fortress used to be the major residence of the Abuseridze family in the late middle ages. The ruler of Adjara, Selim Khimshiashvili, fighting against Ottomans was hiding there, but was killed in 1815.
The historic complex consists of two layers: an ancient one - 10-11 centuries and the new one - 17-19 centuries. Nowadays only ruins are preserved from this formerly inaccessible building: four rectangular towers, a brick walls, a bakery, wine cellar, a water well and St. George's Church.
Khikhani Fortress was regarded as one of the most important fortresses in Adjara, since it had a special strategic location. It used to be a shelter for the local lords. Khikhani Fortress has only one pedestrian path, which made it more difficult to conquer the fortress. The fortress had the wall, but some parts are destroyed. The height of the wall is 5-6 meters. One will find the half-ruined St. George’s church in the fortress. Khikhani Fortress maintained its military function until the beginning of the 20th century.
Adjara Cultural Heritage Protection Agency has been implementing rehabilitation of the fortress since 2012.
Book private tour from Batumi or contact us