Norashen Holy Mother of God Church
The Armenian church Norashen Holy Mother of God (currently not functioning) is located on Kote Afkhazi Street (former Leselidze Str), Lower Kala. The name Norashen means new settlement. The building that came up to this day was built in 1790-1796, though the construction works lasted till 1830.
Rather a big size brick church is of inscribed cross type. The dome is supported by four strong columns. The church has the entrances on three sides. The south stone gate, decorated with reliefs, was built in 19th century. The small stone altar built on the western church arm is of same period. The rectangular frame with flower decoration of the western gate is really remarkable. The church is surrounded with an arcade.
Remarkable influence of western European architecture is to be seen on the facades. On the upper part of the wall the rectangular deepening is observed crowned with small pediments. The similar pediments are located on top of several windows.
The south façade of the dome is remarkable by the reliefs depicting Virgin Mary and the eagle.
The paintings by Armenian artist Mkrtum Ovnatanian still remain in the interior.
To book private Tbilisi walking tour, please, follow the links or contact us here.