Sachino Palace - Summer residence of Georgian Queen Darejani
Darejan’s Royal Palace is located in Tbilisi Historic District at the foot of Metekhi rock overlooking the capital of Georgia - Tbilisi. The name itself “Sachino” (Prominent) conveys the dominating location of the palace - it can be seen from many places of the Mtkvari gorge.
The residence was built in 1776, by order of Erekle II, the king of Kartli-Kakheti Kingdom, for his wife, Queen Consort Darejani.
Darejan Dadiani - Bagrationi, queen of the Kartli-Kakhetian kingdom, princess of Odisha, the Imeretian kingdom, the third wife of King Irakli II (since 1750). They had 23 children, which is why they are considered a monarchical family with the most numerous children in the history of the world.
A main palace - erected on the ruins of the fortress, two churches of St. Daria and St. Irakli, a tower of the mansion- built on the remnants of the northern angle of Avlabari fortress wall, with an elegant wraparound decorative balcony and other buildings on the site represented a unified architectural complex, being surrounded by a stone fence. The wall and its counterforts have been constructed from the so-called Georgian brickwork. Horizontal and vertical stripes create the illusion of a twisted plait, grapevine - an ornament which is often met in Georgian wood and stone carvings.
The mansion and church were partially ruined at the end of the 18th c, during the intrusion of Agha Mohammad Shah-the founder of the Qajar dynasty of Iran. After the death of King Irakli II, Queen Darejan moved to St,Petersburg. The residence and church were purchased by the Exarch Theophylact, who established a theological seminary in the former Royal Palace. In 1822 Sachino was reconstructed to a friary under the name of Transfiguration of Jesus Christ. In 1862 it housed a school and a seminary for children of ecclesiastics. Redecoration of internal rooms, removal of ornaments on the walls and ceilings performed in the Eastern style, can be referred to that time.
After Bolshevik’s arrival in 20th c, Queen Darejan’s Palace was deserted for a long time. Local museum of 26th Bakuvian commissioners was located here in 70-ies. Construction was used as storage. Later the theater of one actor opened here and plays were performed until 90s. In 1991 Sachino was reconstructed by the Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia Ilia II. The imperial complex once again became the monastery of the Transfiguration of Jesus Christ.
Nowadays former Royal Palace is a multifunction building comprising the convent Peristsvaleba (Transfiguration), a hospice, House of Charity since 2003, free canteen and ambulance station for socially unprotected citizens, training facilities for the sister of charities, as well as carpets manufacturing, processing of felt, embroidery workshops, etc.
In 2019 Tbilisi City Hall announced a major rehabilitation project of Sachino palace, which involved safeguarding the architectural complex, that had been under danger of collapse, also conservation works on the wall painting in 18th century Monastery of Transfiguration, renovating the entrance gate, and installing a new irrigation system for its lawn, where a layer of grass has been laid down, and trees and plants have been added.
Almost a two-year restoration project carried the utmost significance, as the palace is an important Historic-Cultural Monument and an outstanding example of Georgian late feudal secular architecture.
Please, follow the links below and book private tours:
Tbilisi walking tour from Avlabari Metro
Tbilisi Grand Tour
Or contact our travel expert here