The history of the Georgian Post goes back to ancient times when the news were transferred across the country through couriers, messengers mentioned in Kartlis Tskhovreba (Life of Kartli), and by bullock carts, who carried heavy mailboxes. Postal transfers using the Georgian bullock carts have gained its place among the first means of postal transportation in the world. The book called “Technology and Industry” (volume ten) describing several unique exhibits of the Berlin Postal Museum reads: among the Russian exhibits in the museum “the pictures of postal transfers using the two-wheel Georgian carts” are particularly interesting. One of the catalogs at the Popov Museum also states that at the Postal Exhibition held in Chicago in 1893, there was presented a model of a Georgian bullock cart with two Georgians standing ahead, and a painting-describing transportation of the post over the Caucasus.
At the end of the 19th century, the Georgian prince, writer, and encyclopaedist-Ioane BatOnishvili demanded that post offices were established and postal institutions created. He believed it would benefit the people, provide income for the treasury and expand trade. The prince wrote: “Posts are to be located in three regions: Kartli, Kakheti and among Tatars”…
The improvement of the mail circulation from Georgia to Russia through Caucasus contributed to the development of postal networks in Georgia.
- 1804-mails between Vladikavkaz and Tbilisi were exchanged solely through horse-ride message forwarding.
- 1805-the first postal office opened in Tbilisi.
- 1826-additional 120 horses were appointed for mail transportation.
- 1832-in this period some of the postal offices on the postal path belonged to individuals.
- 1836-state postal departments retained the ownership of the postal offices.
- 1840-the 12th Postal District was created covering “Kartli-Imereti” and the Kaspi regions. In 1857 the District Governor-N. Kakhanov requested a postal department to be opened by the postal bureau in Tbilisi. He carried out different reforms in the postal business and is the one associated with the production of the “Tbilisi stamp”.
- 1862-construction of 11 new post offices between Tbilisi and Vladikavkaz began.
- 1870-Caucasus Department of the Russian Technical Society was very attentive towards the postal exchange on the Georgian military road. At the State meeting held on December 14, in 1876, the head of this department, a scientist and engineer famous across Russia and Georgia - M. GarseVanishvili spoke about several examples of delayed postal deliveries from Petersburg, particularly pointing out that the routes towards Kvishkheti and Kazbegi were problematic due to Snow and avalanches. The management of the 8th road traffic district addressed Petersburg with an offer: if postal delivery to Tbilisi would be held up by 5 days, it should have been sent through Temir-Khan-Shura, Derbent, Baku, Elizavetpol- covering 1211 verses instead of 200. The number of horses at the Tbilisi, Mtskheta, Gudauri, Kazbegi, Larsi, Dusheti, Pasanauri, Balta,Vladikavkaz and Mleta post offices increased up to 652.
- 1879-the newspaper “Droeba” (S. Meskhi - article “Upotchtoba” (meaning “No Post”)) wrote - “Most of Georgia, except the cities and settlements located by the railway, receive mail only twice or three times a week… I think it is high time that the management of the post and our Government paid enough attention to these circumstances; our life is not what it used to be twenty years ago: trade and production in our country increase daily, there are more schools and more people who can read, write and would like to know about the post, the ply and communication between the people of different provinces have nearly doubled. Besides, even the governors themselves need well-organized posts and correspondence.” Meskhi thought that it was better if postal services became more expensive so that the organization would improve… “If there is post, if there is the chance to receive books and newspapers on time, nobody will mind spending a little extra,” the newspaper wrote…
- 1886-the postal road towards Racha-Lechkhumi was opened - “People are very happy about the postal road” newspaper “Iveria” wrote. - These words mean so much. People knew the importance of this kind of communication very well.” The post office was founded in Mtskheta in the same year.
- 1893-according to the newspaper “Iveria”- the organization of postal transfers are paid particular attention.
- 1894-for money transfers the sender would take the money to the post office, where they would give out the receipt to him and then send the recipient a coupon-enabling them to receive money from the post. This rule applied to amounts under 1000 Maneti (newspaper “Iveria” N229.) The expansion of the postal network in different regions of Georgia-particularly villages made it easier for people to use the benefits of the postal service. Newspaper “Iveria” pointed out that opening new post offices benefited the trade and brought people close to each other.
- 1901-the newspaper “Iveria” wrote - Post offices are opened in Akhmeta and Ikalto.
- 1913-by this time 108 post offices were functiOning across Georgia.
- 1993-Georgia became the member of: Universal Postal Union (UPU) - established in Swiss Capital Bern in 1874, the union is one of the world’s ancient associations uniting 192 countries; Post Europe international postal union - founded in Brussels in 1993, the union represents European social postal association, including 52 postal operators from 49 countries. The membership of these unions is of major significance since it provides an opportunity for the Georgian Postal network to be integrated with the Universal Postal Union networks.
- 1995-the postal network developed gradually. As of today, the Georgian Post founded in 1995 by “the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications of Georgia” with a 100% State share, provides a universal postal service across Georgia.
Georgia become the member of the CA of the World Postal Union Administrative Board and Deputy Head of the CA of the World Postal Union Administrative Board for the first time throughout history. Aimed at achieving this, the company successfully rebranded, renewed its service centers, re-trained employees, created new labor standards and established innovative technologies, that resulted in the Georgian Post having been recognized as a trustful partner. Currently, the Company enjoys successful cooperation with the world’s 191 countries carrying out following actions:
- Receiving, sending and delivering mailings (letters, parcels, postcards, print materials) within the country and internationally, through the Universal Postal Union (UPU) and the International Express Mail Service (EMS) network;
- Domestic money transfers as well as transfers towards Belgium, Turkey, Japan, Greece, Lithuania, Latvia and the CIS;
- Telegraph services - within the country, to rural and regional centers;
- Receiving utility service payments;
”Georgian International Express Mail Service” founded on March 1, 2001, is included in the world network of the Express Mail Services providing mail services for EMS letters and parcels in 192 countries.