metechi church

-

10% Discount for early Booking!

  • Metechi church

Virgin Mary Metekhi church is located on the left bank of the river Mtkvari, on the cliff plateau , the first church on this place was probably built by Vakhtang Gorgasali symbolically resembling the church built on virgin Mary’s tomb in Gethsemane garden in Jerusalem. According to the legend the former catholicos Kirion transferred the body of the saint Shushanik to this church in 7th century.

A lot of historical facts are linked with Metekhi church: Queen Tamar prayed here before the Shamkori battle in 1195, this church previously located on this place was burnt when the town castle head burnt Isani in 1235. Later it was restored by the King Demeter II. Then it was again damaged by the thunder storm and was repaired by the Muslim King Shakhnavaz who used it for storing the gun powder and the church kept this function even in 1690 when Erekle the I Nazaralikhani conveyed this church to Persians together with the castle. The church was renovated by the will and the desire of Erekle the II and the liturgy was restored between 1748 and 1753.

Metekhi Church together with other cult buildings was sacrificed to the attack of Agha Makhmad Khan in 1795. It was restored in 1780-1800 by the will of Giorgi the XII; the building underwent the considerable changes in 19th century.

‘Jvari’ (cross) type churches repeat the old plan and are distinguished by its unusual construction. The Dome sets on four columns on the east façade. The building is neighbored by the gate in the north and by the open dome in the east; the entrance gate is even in the west. Stone and brick invoice change each other on the façade of the multi restored–renovated church. At first it was built with hewn stones but after the restoration the brick was utilized to make arch dome. The eastern conch has kept its previous face: The three windows on the central protuberance are decorated with ornamental crosses and rhombs.

The dome of the 17th century is simple and its apertures are located in the brick arch.

The castle existed with the church was destroyed in 1810-1820 and dungeons were built on its place. In 1933 the dungeon was destroyed and the nearby territory of the church was cleaned. The club was functioning in the church during the Soviet regime; later the museum fund was disposed in there. The theater found its shelter in the church in 1970. The church has been functioning since 1988.

Information about places to visit in Georgia and Georgia tourist attractions. 

We are excited to thank you all for your interest. Please, contact us for bookings tours@georgianholidays.com

 

See you soon in Georgia!

Hot Deal

This special, 21-days itinerary is designed to explore 3 countries of Caucasus in depth – Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia. Start the trip in Baku, the capital city of Azerbaijan, visit outstanding landmarks of this country and continue way to...

Read more

  • Viator Top Rated 2016

    Viator Top Rated 2016

    Georgian Holidays has achieved Viator\'s 2016 Top Rated Award, distinguishing us as an outstanding activity provider for the world\'s leading online resource for booking tours and activities.

  • ITB Berlin 2017

    ITB Berlin 2017

    Please, contact us to arrange the meeting on ITB Berlin 2017 at Georgian Stand #103, hall 15.1 on 8-12 March, 2017. Visit Georgian Holidays on ITB Berlin!

  • WTM London 2017

    WTM London 2017

    Please, contact us to arrange the meeting on WTM London 2017 at Georgia Stand in 6-8 November, 2017. Visit us on WTM London!

  • Holiday Fair Brussels 2017

    Holiday Fair Brussels 2017

    Please, contact us to arrange the meeting at Georgian Stand or visit us on Holiday Fair Brussels, stand 5424, hall 5, 2-5 February, 2017!

  • TTG Rimini 2017

    TTG Rimini 2017

    Please, contact us to arrange the meeting on TTG Rimini 2017 at Georgia Stand in 12-14 October, 2017. Visit us on TTG Rimini!

  • GTA

    GTA

    Georgian Tourism Association - GTA carries out projects to improve tourism development in Georgia in partnership with Department of Tourism and Resorts, Agency of Protected Areas, International Organizations (USAID/SME project, GTZ Private Sector Development project, GTZ regional communal development project, IUCN etc.), local partners (i.e. Elkana, Geoland) and member companies. GTA is the member of UNWTO Knowledge Network, of GSTC (Global Sustainable Tourism Council), of GCCI (Georgian Chamber of Commerce and Industry) and member of ICC (International Chamber of Commerce).

  • HEIFER INTERNATIONAL

    HEIFER INTERNATIONAL

    HEIFER INTERNATIONAL implements the project Sustainable Development of Rural Tourism in Black Sea countries

  • Leader of the Branch 2016

    Leader of the Branch 2016

    Gold Medal and International Certificate \"Leader of the Branch 2016\"/ Winner of National Business Award