kvashveti

-

10% Discount for early Booking!

  • Kvashveti

St. George Kvashveti Church is located on Rustaveli Avenue in 9 April’s garden, its name derived from one of the miracles by Davit Garejeli ,who was one of the 12 Assyrian fathers living and performing their duties in Georgia in the 6th century. St. David, who lived on Mtatsminda slope used to preach a lot in town, the fire worshipers who were against him bribed a pregnant woman, who blamed the saint for adultery, after Davit miraculously revealed the truth the woman gave birth to a stone, and the name Kvashveti derived from this occasion (giving birth to a stone)

The first church was built here in the 6th century. In 1753 with the support of Givi Amilakhvari, the brick temple was built on this place, at the teens of the 20th century, a quite damaged church was destroyed and in 1904-1910 a new church was built according to the project of the architect Leopold Bilfeld; it was the church that came up-to-date. The ornaments curved in the stone were made by the brothers Neofrite, Vladimir, Niko Agladze and by Lavrenti having the same surname as brothers.

The Kvashveti Church is constructed according to the style of Samtavisi Church built in the 11th century, the plan and the decorations of the façade resemble those of Samtavisi church but little differences are observed.

The dome of the church of an ‘Inscribed cross’ type is supported with four loosely standing columns. The interior is fully plastered, only the apses are decorated with Lado Gudiashvili’s paintings of 1947.

In the central area the composition on the façade surrounds the arch. The cross is supported with the rectangular windows and rhombs beyond the aperture are seen as strong vertical axis. The richly curved frame surrounds all the windows of the church.

The church has two gates, in the West and in the South. The western gate was made in 1997-1998, double stairs are leading to the Southern gate. On the top of the gate in the lunette, St. George fighting with the dragon is depicted.

In the socle of the church, the chapel of St. Marine is arranged, the floor level of which coincides with the floor level of the first building. The poet Grigol Orbeliani lays in rest in the chapel (1880-1883).

In the south of the church a small burial vault constructed by the noblemen Baratashvili in 1897 is located and in the south-east corner two floored church tower, constructed in 2000 is placed. The outstanding Georgian entrepreneur and supporter Davit Sarajishvili is buried in the yard of the church (1848-1911).

Information about places to visit in Georgia and Georgia tourist attractions. 

We are excited to thank you all for your interest. Please, contact us for bookings tours@georgianholidays.com

 

See you soon in Georgia!

Hot Deal

This 14-days itinerary introduces us 2 countries of Caucasus in depth – Georgia and Armenia. Both countries welcome us by experienced guides who introduce us to the historical and architectural monuments, special highlights and UNESCO World Heritage...

Read more

  • Viator Top Rated 2016

    Viator Top Rated 2016

    Georgian Holidays has achieved Viator\'s 2016 Top Rated Award, distinguishing us as an outstanding activity provider for the world\'s leading online resource for booking tours and activities.

  • ITB Berlin 2017

    ITB Berlin 2017

    Please, contact us to arrange the meeting on ITB Berlin 2017 at Georgian Stand #103, hall 15.1 on 8-12 March, 2017. Visit Georgian Holidays on ITB Berlin!

  • WTM London 2017

    WTM London 2017

    Please, contact us to arrange the meeting on WTM London 2017 at Georgia Stand in 6-8 November, 2017. Visit us on WTM London!

  • Holiday Fair Brussels 2017

    Holiday Fair Brussels 2017

    Please, contact us to arrange the meeting at Georgian Stand or visit us on Holiday Fair Brussels, stand 5424, hall 5, 2-5 February, 2017!

  • TTG Rimini 2017

    TTG Rimini 2017

    Please, contact us to arrange the meeting on TTG Rimini 2017 at Georgia Stand in 12-14 October, 2017. Visit us on TTG Rimini!

  • GTA

    GTA

    Georgian Tourism Association - GTA carries out projects to improve tourism development in Georgia in partnership with Department of Tourism and Resorts, Agency of Protected Areas, International Organizations (USAID/SME project, GTZ Private Sector Development project, GTZ regional communal development project, IUCN etc.), local partners (i.e. Elkana, Geoland) and member companies. GTA is the member of UNWTO Knowledge Network, of GSTC (Global Sustainable Tourism Council), of GCCI (Georgian Chamber of Commerce and Industry) and member of ICC (International Chamber of Commerce).

  • HEIFER INTERNATIONAL

    HEIFER INTERNATIONAL

    HEIFER INTERNATIONAL implements the project Sustainable Development of Rural Tourism in Black Sea countries

  • Leader of the Branch 2016

    Leader of the Branch 2016

    Gold Medal and International Certificate \"Leader of the Branch 2016\"/ Winner of National Business Award